!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: How Can I Know God?

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Friday, August 11, 2006

How Can I Know God?

The way to know God is through God's Word. And Jesus Christ is the Word in flesh and bone. First John 1:1 (NLT) says, "...Jesus Christ, the Word of Life." So it is through Jesus, the Word, that we can know God.

It doesn't really take a lot to be saved, or in other words, know God and live forever. John 6:47 (ESV) says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life." This is one of the clearest and most concise verses in the Bible describing the way of salvation. It's not by our good deeds and it's not by our church membership. It's not by keeping the law, nor by being good, but it is simply by believing that Jesus paid for our sins on the cross.

The simplicity of the gospel is brought out even more in the following verses: John 3:14-15 (ESV) "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life." The Biblical story of the snakes biting the Israelites in the desert is very simple. In Numbers 21:6-9, Moses was told to put a bronze snake up on a pole. When someone was bitten, all he had to do was "look" at the pole with the snake on it and he would not die. In the same manner, anyone who sees that he is sinful (or has a snake bite) and "looks" to Jesus for salvation from his sin, will be saved.


When we "look" to Jesus, we simply have to call on Him. Romans 10:13 and verse 9 (NLT) says, "Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." And then "... if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." It is that simple.

Salvation is eternal, so remember, you can't have eternal life today, and not have eternal life tomorrow.


~notes from a "Good Morning, Lord" Bible study

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home