!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: What did Ghandi Think?

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Monday, July 17, 2006

What did Ghandi Think?


"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

~Mohandas Ghandi

I think this may be part of the problem. What problem? You know, why most folks don't think they want to be Christians. The Christians may be giving Christ a bad rap. Some people get introduced to Christ, but they never really hang around long enough to get to know him. Thus they never really get to be anything like him.

If you're a Christian spend a little time with Christ and find out what he is really all about. (Back off. I'm preaching to myself. This is my summer project: attempting to find the real Jesus in the stories he left us.) Read (as I am) the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and the book of Acts over a few times to be reminded what Jesus really did say to his followers. To see what the little band of believers did to become more like him. This is what people thought of the early church:

...everyone had high regard for them[the followers of Christ]. And more and more people believed and were brought to the Lord--crowds of both men and women.~Acts 5:13-14 (NLT)

Wow! If we were more like they were, (more like Jesus Christ is,) Ghandi might have become a follower of Christ in more than just admiration.

If you're not a Christian then let me say this, please forgive me for judging you. I look at people and think I know them when I don't. Forgive me for when I was deceitful toward you. Did I lie to you or about you? Forgive me. I get scared and say things that I shouldn't, when I am just trying to protect myself or whoever it is that I think I am. Were you hungry and I didn't get you anything to eat? I'm sorry. I get so busy trying to pay the bills that I ran up, that I forget there are hungry people in the world. Did I abuse you? Did I ignore the fact that you were being abused? Forgive me. Did I look the other way when you were hurting? Please forgive me. No, I have no right to be forgiven. I was wrong. I was wrong toward you and I was wrong toward my God. A lot of people get a bad idea about who Jesus Christ is and what his followers are like and will not listen to his message because of people like me. I'm sorry. I haven't done a very good job of representing Christ.

If you ever want to know the simple message of Jesus Christ, when you are ready, let me know. I will not get it tangled up with my politics or with my preconceptions about others.

~rachman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home