!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: Trust is Better Than Hope

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Trust is Better Than Hope

Jewish wisdom says that, "Hope is when there is something to latch on to, some glimmer of a chance. The drowning man, they say, will clutch at any straw to save his life."
.
Emily Dickinson said:
.
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,

And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
.
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

.
I’ve heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

.
Hope is good, but according to that Jewish wisdom, "trust in God is even when there is nothing in which to hope. The decree is sealed. The sword is drawn over the neck. By all laws of nature there is no way out. But the One who runs the show doesn't need any props."
.
.
~ drawn from Internet wisdom
.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachman! Hope you're doing ok, mate. I now its been a long time but I've been busy (new blog, new life, new me)

As a member of the 'don't know' school of religious thought, what am I supposed to believe in when I'm going through one of the worst things I've ever had to go through? (yes, I realise that probably losing a boyfriend after 4 months is not a awful life threatening thing, but I've led a relatively sheltered life). I'm so shallow...

31/8/07 1:47 PM  
Blogger rachman said...

Rose Ghost or Ghostrose, I love hearing from you. I will have to check out the new blog.

I'm glad you've been busy, but I hope the new life and new you are just as charming and beautiful as the one I met a while back.

Now about losing that boyfriend. Okay it's not life threatening, but it can be pretty rough. And even though you are probably just being funny about being being so shallow, because you are not in the least, I know that it hurts. (One time I couldn't figure out why I had that dull aching feeling in my "gut," until I realized it was from missing that person who was no longer there.) So I guess we are all shallow sometimes.

Now since you asked the question, you deserve an answer. You can believe in the people who love you. I don't know that much about you, but you have mentioned your dad. He doesn't love you because he has too. He doesn't even love you just because of who you are. He loves you because of "whose" you are. You are his daughter. And no one will ever take that place in his life. He knows that you are full of wonderful mannerisms, and characteristics, and quirks, and talents, and abilities, and possibilities. But he knows that, no matter what, you will always be his beloved child.

You can believe in yourself. You know that you have dreams and longings and hopes. You have mentioned wanting to live in France. You have talked about loving to write. You have talked about boys and spiders and taking driving tests, and all kinds of things. You have a destiny inside you waiting to be fulfilled. Believe that it is going to come to pass.

Now I know that you are of the "don't know" school of religious thought, so I will not try to change you. I kinda' like you the way you are. For one thing, you are honest. I appreciate that, my English friend. You know however what school of thought I belong to, so here's one more thought or two. If your dad loves you like he does, yet he can't make your life always go the way you would want it to, maybe there is a God who loves you the same way. It's just a thought. If you know that you have a destiny inside you, maybe there is a God who put it there. Now we're just thinking out loud here. So sometime if you want to know one way or the other if there is or isn't a God to believe in, just ask Him. That's not as stupid as it sounds. When you hear a noise outside your door, do you ever ask, "who's there?" Same principle. When you're ready, just ask Him, if He's real, then make Himself real to you. So you can know it. If He's not real, then great. Now you have no doubts. If He is real, be honest and real with Him.

So hang on, Rose Ghost. The worst thing in your life will pass on and you will wake up one day and it won't hurt so much. And by the way, I believe in you. You're going to make it, love.

~ r.

1/9/07 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home