!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: It's Over Before You Know It!

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It's Over Before You Know It!


Sometimes we barely get started on some new adventure, when we find that it's time to quit. I took my young nephew, or maybe he was taking me, for a ride on a big wooden roller coaster (at the time it was considered one of the biggest in the world, or the best, or perhaps the most nauseating, I forget the exact title.) We waited in line in the scorching south Texas heat for close to an hour. When we finally got to the covered depot, we waited some more time for the next train to roll in and empty itself of the last group of adventure seekers. My nephew, Scott, and I sat down in the first little car and the attendant, a college kid on a summer job, pulled the bar down in front of us till it clicked into place. Too close for me and not really as close as I thought it ought to be for Scott. We waited some more minutes for everyone else to get "clicked" into place behind us. Another college kid just ahead of us in a little booth pulled a lever and the cars jerked and began to move slowly out of the covered station. The car started its slow ascent along the upward flowing track. The cog device which pulled us straight toward the sun, was clanking rhythmically. Just when the train reached a point where we were staring into the sky and trying not to look into the sun, we realized there seemed to be nothing beneath us and we sucked in our breath and plunged downward. We were in a free fall, and I for one, left my stomach at the top. Everyone was screaming, and I said a word that my nephew later said he would tell his mother about. Then we were at the bottom and we were all laughing with relief. The ride continued with twists and turns so jarring that I began to suspect that chiropractors would be waiting on the off ramp to pass out their cards. The next thing we knew we were on one more "death defying" plunge and then suddenly we were pulling into the station where more thrill seekers were waiting. My nephew would have ridden again, if it hadn't been for the hour wait; and I pretended to want to do the same. It really was great fun, and it was over much quicker than expected.

Such has been my blogging experience. I don't even have 50 posts, yet I sense that I need to take a sabbatical from blogging. I don't mean to make this sound more serious than it really is, but I sense that I need to put the blog aside for a time. I intend to fast my blogging, if you will. I admit that there are times when I would rather blog than eat, or work, or anything else. It has become an addiction such as the blog bloke warns about. Check out his "10 Ways to Know if You are a Blogaholic." Don't worry he won't convict you to do as I am doing; my decision is strictly personal. (However, he may just show you how to create an excellent blog.) Anyway I may do some weekend blogging, or I may check on my favorite blogs, or I may do none of the above. I may become "celibate" for a season. I have not completely decided how much asceticism my spirit is in need of. It may be a week or two or three. But unless I really do have an epiphany, I will be back before Advent or the holidays begin.
.
.
Adieu ~ rachman
photo by Allyn Fratkin
.

5 Comments:

Blogger CaptainCraft said...

Good luck on your blog fast. The blog world will still be here when you get back. I understand how it is. Sometimes I have to go on an Internet fast. Take care.

Scott

25/10/06 12:13 AM  
Blogger rachman said...

Thanks, Scott! I'm glad you came by and I'm glad that folks understand. Especially you, buddy. I may take up pipe smoking, hiking, and getting up early during my sabbatical. (Okay, two out of three.)


Later my friend,
~ rachman

25/10/06 1:17 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

I find I spend far more time on blogging than I originally intended.
On the other hand sometimes something really good comes up.

Anyway have a good break. I may try the same before long.

25/10/06 12:47 PM  
Blogger rachman said...

Hi Rob,

It seemed strange to stop just when I had begun to meet a few friendly folks, such as yourself, but I think it's necessary for a time. I had the feeling that I should do this about two weeks ago and thought, "oh, that's nonsense to stop now." However the feeling that I needed to focus on other things persisted. Come to think of it, your post on "voting" says what I'm feeling. I need to meditate on other things and allow my spirit to return to control of this trinity (my spirit, soul, and body). Anyway thanks for your visits. Later, my friend.


~ rachman

26/10/06 12:57 AM  
Blogger Blog Bloke said...

Better late than never. Thanks so much for the mention Rachman.

Cheers... BB!

5/2/07 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home