!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: Lovely, Lonely Leaves of Autumn

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Lovely, Lonely Leaves of Autumn


I'm a very visual person and since I haven't had much to say lately, I thought it best to share some of the beauty of the season from my two favorite photo sites on the WWW. The one above is by Ian Britton from FreeFoto.com.



This beautiful and fascinating photo is by David Johns at Dave's Pics. Mr. Johns works around Anchorage, Alaska, and has done some beautiful work.

And when I think of lonely, fluttering leaves, I think of Thomas Wolfe's lonely, lovely Look Homeward, Angel:

...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a stone, a leaf, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.

Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.

Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

O waste of loss, in the hot mazes, lost, among bright stars on this most weary unbright cinder, lost! Remembering speechlessly we seek the great forgotten language, the lost lane-end into heaven, a stone, a leaf, an unfound door. Where? When?

O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.

Poor Mr. Wolfe must have been a lonely soul and I know many can identify with his lyrical thoughts. I did once, but thank god not any more. “ My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.” (Psalm 62:1) Yes, thank you, Father God, for the opportunity to be fully known and to know both You and others You have brought into my life.

After that lovely but lonely passage, I need one more beautiful photo to remember the wonder of the season. Again by Mr. Britton.


Have an awesome autumn while it's here. But don't blink, for it's gone in an instant.

.

.

~ rachman

.

2 Comments:

Blogger CaptainCraft said...

I liked that poem. Everyone has feelings of lonely sometimes.

Scott

12/10/06 9:41 PM  
Blogger rachman said...

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. I loved both the poem and the book. Maybe it was the time in my life when I first read it. Yet it was also Thomas Wolfe. My god, the man could write. He was amazing.

Nonetheless I can't help but feel a little sorry for him. Yes, everyone has feelings of loneliness at times, but the book is an autobiographical novel and it deals with moments of intense sadness.

On second thought perhaps every life has moments of intense sadness. And the book also has moments of ecstasy and joy and of course first love. Good grief, now I need to reread the book, but that's okay. Books like this need to be read more than once.

Thanks for dropping by, and letting me share "my" poems and pictures.

Blessings, my friend,


~ rachman

13/10/06 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home