!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: Keep the Light Burning!

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Keep the Light Burning!

Back in the middle of the last century, on the New England coast, there was a lighthouse keeper who was known for his kind nature and good heart. Local fishermen and the like who got into trouble and ran out of fuel along the coast, knew that they could go to the lighthouse keeper and he would give them the extra fuel they needed for whatever they could pay or even if they couldn't pay. The keeper of the lighthouse hated to turn anyone away, and as the current high fuel prices were unheard of then, he was able to show his love for any man who was in trouble. This was a time and place many people cannot imagine and few really remember.
.
A time came when a great storm blew over the lighthouse and its surrounding coast. The keeper's light was needed to keep the ships safe which were passing by to reach the harbor. But the power to the lighthouse failed and the light went out. The keeper ran down to the base of the tower to start the emergency generator, which started up without a hitch and ran for hours, keeping everything safe. But long before dawn arrived or the storm abated, the generator, which ran on gasoline, ran dry and stopped. A great ship was unable to reach safe harbor and there was a terrible loss of life.
.
There was a hearing and a county magistrate ruled that the lighthouse keeper was responsible. There was a great outcry from all who knew the keeper. Everyone agreed that he was a good man who was kind to everyone he met. The magistrate listened to the testimonies, but ruled against the keeper of the lighthouse, not because he wasn't a good man, but because he neglected his number one responsibility. He forgot the most important thing in his life--his primary purpose was to keep the light burning.
.
What is the number one responsibility in your life? We all have to ask that question of ourselves from time to time. For some it might be, "am I being the husband that I should be?" Or, "am I being the father my children need?" What about the "employee my boss wants?" This might seem a little petty to some, but it all depends on where you are. I have to go back one more step in the responsibility chain and ask you, "what is your relationship with God?" If you are a Christian, when was the last time you asked, "God, what do you want me to do with my life? Am I keeping the light burning?" If you are not a Christian, when was the last time you asked, "God, what do you want me to do with my life? And what can you do with my life?" Our relationship with God is ultimately our number one responsibility. Everything stems from that relationship. He is the light. Keep the light burning.
.
If you don't have a relationship with God, let me introduce you to the God who is alive. A God with whom you can work out your own salvation. You don't have to line up with my preconceived ideas. You work it out with God. He will listen to you, and care for you, and love you. If there are problems, He will work with you to solve them. He can handle it. There is no substitute for a first hand relationship--a first hand faith. You must know Jesus Christ as your personal savior to have that relationship. You see God took responsibility and made a way for you to come to him without a lot of ritual. Ask God, "what do you want me to do with my life?" The number one thing is to get to know Him in a personal way. You've always wanted someone to really know you. Here is your chance. The most exiting person in the universe wants to really know you. It doesn't matter how good and kind you are or how grossly wicked you think you are. With God's grace, you can begin to really live.
.
For those who are too shy to start a conversation with God, let me start you out. Say these words out loud: Dear God, there are things that I don't understand. I have questions about life and about death. I have questions about how to live my life. But you have answers, so I come to you in the name of Jesus. Your word tells me that whoever comes to you, you will never reject. Thank you for not rejecting me.
.
Your word also says that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. And if I confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in my heart that God raised him from the dead, I will be saved. You said my salvation would be the result of Your Holy Spirit giving me new birth by coming to live in me.
.
Okay, God, I take You at Your word. I confess that Jesus is Lord. The Lord of my life. And I believe in my heart that You raised Him from the dead. Thank you for coming into my heart to live in me. You are the light within me. And I am saved. Thank you, my Lord.
.
.
.If you have questions or comments, email me.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home