!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: Christmas at Last!

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas at Last!

The reason I celebrate my birthday in September, is because that is when my parents told me it was. As a kid I didn't really have a clue as to when my birthday was except that in the middle of every September, my parents gave me a cake or a party or presents or all three. That was enough for me. Today a great part of the world is preparing to celebrate the birth of a king, not because we know for a fact that it took place on December 25, but because someone at some time decided that we would celebrate this birth every December. So enjoy it.

Many complain that Christmas is too commercialized, or too expensive, or too secularized (or pagan), or just too crass, or too whatever else you might want to come up with. Well who decides what kind of birthday you will have. For the most part you do. If Christmas is not what you want it to be, you are the one who has to change it. The original circumstances of what we call Christmas were quite simple and humble. If we desire to simplify things, then by all means, do so. We would then start to remember the reason we were celebrating in the first place.

Christmas, if you recall, means "Christ's festival" or "celebration of the anointed one." A celebration is a time when we overeat. It is a time when we gather together with family and friends and enjoy one another's company, in whatever ways we know to do it. It's a time when we may give gifts to one another or send written greetings. We do these same things on birthdays, national holidays, weddings, and so forth. Let's face it, people are always looking for ways to party about something. So why are we surprised that something like Christmas has become what it is. It's up to us to remember what we are celebrating. (Reminder: We are celebrating the advent, [or the arrival] of the King back into the earth.)

So as the time approaches, try to leave off the fretting about the way others are celebrating and think about how you are celebrating. If you can't get it all done, remember the holiday (holy day) was made for you to enjoy. You were not made to make the holiday a perfect fantasy. Go see the "Nutcracker" and get that out of your system. Watch your favorite old movie, shed a tear, and then go live your life with your family or friends in the here and now. And as you do these things, remember that the King has returned. Make Him a part of the days ahead.
.
.
~ rachman
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home