!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> rachman-unprecedented: Happiness, a Mirage?

rachman-unprecedented

So what is this going to be? A little bit of everything I think. Maybe that's it. What I'm thinking. What I'm believing. I hope what I'm knowing. And why would anyone care what I think I know? There's no reason in the world that you should. But then why are you here? Cuz you have to be somewhere I suppose. I've never been here before. I may not be back. I might get too busy to care; time is short. That's fine. Nobody can deal with it all at once. There is a lot to deal with.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great Plains, United States

I try not to take myself too seriously, but I know I have far too much. So I'm trying to learn how to laugh again, as I had forgotted for a while there. Also I'm relearning to enjoy life; you know, like when we were kids. The biggest challenge ahead is learning how to love God with all my heart, and soul, and mind, and strength. This one is not really that hard when you know the truth. But along with it comes learning to love others as I love myself, and that one is, as they say, "a horse of a whole different color." I think I need to learn to love myself a little more, but the problem may be that I know all these facts about me. Sometimes the facts are simply wrong or they are just stuck in the past. I'm trying to get my facts to line up with the truth. As someone once asked a great man, "what is truth?" If he had only known.

rachman's weblog

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Happiness, a Mirage?


We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
.
These words from the U.S. Declaration of Independence are indeed noble words and words that I hold in great esteem. However this statement doesn't give us a clue as to how we are to achieve happiness. It merely says that we have a right to go for it! Most people do chase after happiness, by all kinds of methods. Some attempt to find the right career or the perfect mate. Others pursue money or power or fame--or all three. Some have a great passion which calls to them: "come create," "come discover," "come explore!" Most all of us have probably thought that there is something tangible out there which will make us happy.
.
The reality is that as soon as we get our career or our mate, we realize that they do not fulfill us, and that we must look for another one. We may acquire the money, power, and fame only to decide that they are hollow and without meaning. If we follow our great passions, we discover that they merely consume us, but never satisfy us. As soon as we reach the happiness we have pursued, then like a mirage, it disappears and is seen farther down the road ahead of us.
.
Most of us have experienced the "perfect moment," when everything seems to be going our way. This is the day when the kids are both healthy and content. The job is going along smoothly and the boss thinks you're great. There's money in the bank and the bills are paid. That perfect mate has prepared your favorite meal, sent the kids to the neighbors, and now wants to make your evening a night to remember. But have you ever in your life, had two such days in succession. People and circumstances never line up this way again. If the perfect moment of happiness is your goal, you will be perpetually frustrated. Happiness cannot be the goal.
.
Matthew 6:33 (Amplified)~ But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.
.
When we seek God first, then happiness is no longer our goal--God becomes our goal. It's when you put God first in your life that the need for happiness will be met. You see you cannot go to happiness--happiness must come to you. "Seek God first, and happiness will be given to you as well."
.
.
~ rachman
.

2 Comments:

Blogger Clay Feet said...

What's even more important and satisfying than happiness is joy when understood in its true meaning. Good thoughts here.

20/6/07 10:21 PM  
Blogger rachman said...

Hey C.F.,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your comment. I actually agree and I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Love ya', brother.

~ r.

21/6/07 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home